Thursday, August 6, 2009

Dolls on Crack!

I really need to practice making dolls, lol.
I found this free doll on the web, from Little Missy Primitives.
They are for a project called Comfort Dolls, a group that sends little dolls to women's shelters. A woman in one of our groups is heading ours and I volunteered to make a couple, from ugly to crazed, these dollies might really scare the heck out of the recipients.

I realized I forgot the eyelashes, that might help. Another thing is, I wanted to add little wings to the back, but mine are not working out the way I wanted. If I use thin fabic it doesn't hold on its own and I want them to attach to the back, so not heavy with batting. I made one pair with ticking and a piece of batting, but then they would not come out at the tips and using a needle just wrecked them. So, any ideas of wings I could use to make them easier? Would love suggestions. I guess I could pull out my old books, I have a few for doll making, so wings must be in one of them.


11 comments:

Jacque. said...

ohmygosh, Debbie...those are so dang cute! No idea on the wings...sorry.

Penny @ Miss Pootsie's Primitives said...

Cute, cute, DOGGONE CUTE Debbie!

Wings.. well, I use my own patterns. I cut two layers of the shape I want, sew them up leaving a space to turn it, clip the curves and turn it right side out.
I put a bit of stuffing in.. not batting, just regular old polyfil, not too full, just lightly stuffed. Then I either machine quilt them or hand quilt them together. I usually attach them to the doll w/ either a safety pin or a big button. They are stiffened by the quilting and by the grunging I do to them. Hope that helps hon. Keep working at it.. they are darling.
Penny

primitivebettys said...

You are too hard on yourself! These dolls have PERSONALITY! They give an instant SMILE! :)

Tammy Burks said...

I think they are crazy cute!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

I think your dolls turned out adorable and they will bring a smile to whoever gets them!

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

you could use a bunch of twigs and wrap them up to make wings or use a little fusible webbing to give the fabric more ump...have a good one.:)

appleberrycottage said...

One idea for wings is to use fabric stiffner. Another is to make your own "quilt". Use a piece of fabric for the front, one for the back, and put a piece of warm n natural batting inbetween. Cut in the exact shape, then stitch using a running stitch (or possibly button hole stitch) along the outside edge.
Laura

WoolenSails said...

All great ideas. I was thinking of vine twigs, I get it from my backyard and dry it out. But, this will be sent a few times till it gets to it's destination, so worried the twigs won't hold up and might be too stiff for a comfort doll. I guess it would be easier if I made a simple wing and rounded it instead of a sharp point.
Would be ok on larger doll, but that tiny, I cannot turn the point without getting a lump.

Debbie

Libby Buttons said...

Really I think these are sweet in an underground sort of way. I love their huge eyes. I love the unique
smiles
Darlie

Miccosukee said...

Debbie,
They are adorable just as they are. I wouldn't add any thing that might accidentally come off while being hugged. I think losing a wing would hurt more than never having had one on the doll in the first place.

trisha

Pat Winter said...

Your adorable dolls have been posted. Thank you so vey much! Hugs,Pat
www.comfortdolls.blogspot.com