Saturday, July 12, 2014

New Fall Pattern!


I started a new pattern this week but it took me longer to punch it, and I just finished it off today. I do not have the pattern ready yet. When I make a new pattern, I draw out the design I have in mind, then I punch it and change it as I go, so I need to redraw the pattern with the new changes and I need a steady hand for that. I use an artist pen to do the designs, so they print out nicely and I cannot make too many mistakes or ones I can't fix with photoshop;)

I like how it came out in some ways but I also wish I had been able to use variegated threads for this piece and do more of an artistic style with the design. This is something that can be done with or without the extra details and I like to keep things simple for those who want to hook them, as well. This would also work nicely in stitchery or appliqué.

The pattern is an adaptation of an antique quilt appliqué. Do you like ones with more or less detail?
I thought about adding a building but my hands get tired after punching so much. So, would you buy a pattern from a color photo of the design instead of a finished piece? I have thought about doing designs and watercoloring them in for a pattern so I could do better designing. My punching is not what it  used to be so I don't always get the look that I would like, when I first envision a new idea.

I always appreciate your thoughts and I hope you enjoy my newest piece. I made it into a flat piece with a wool backing. This way, I can use double stick rug tape and put it on a basket in the fall. This is a nice idea if you have a basket and want to change out a piece for the seasons.

The colors are off, as far as the primitive look, this was also before I antiqued it. If you look at his hair, you will see I used a longer setting to give him curly locks;)







10 comments:

kelley said...

great new design Debbie...love that full wagon...I am happy to purchase patterns with line drawing only or watercolor would be nice

Fiona said...

Lovely. I think you are so clever to do those..
Hugz

Kris said...

Oh, Debbie - This piece is so cute!! I look forward to seeing it antiqued!!

Julie Fukuda said...

I think you have enough detail. I like to see your finished piece and the colors you have selected.

moosecraft said...

This is an awesome design! Just right in the details too... I think it's better to have a punched piece on the cover and include the names of the colors you used as a guideline. Lots of folks that buy patterns have difficulty color planning and/or buy supplies from the internet...

acorn hollow said...

so sweet I think you have good detail in this pattern
Cathy

Karen said...

I can't answer from a hooker or puncher's point of view since I have not conquered those techniques. I look hoping I can change things to applique. I like a color picture but would think water color would work too.

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Love it Debbie - now...if only I could find the time to learn to hook or punch....

The Eveningstitcher said...

I love the pattern just as it is! I would love to hook it into a rug! I'll be watching for the pattern!

Miccosukee said...

Debbie,
If just having a colored line drawing to chose when ordering a pattern from you would simplify your life, I am all in favor of it.

Later if you finish doing the pattern, seeing how it ended up would always be a wonderful thing to see. You are so talented!!
trisha