Friday, August 8, 2014

Friday Finish: Penny Rug!


This week I noticed a few people working on penny rugs and the diamond shape, in particular. I have always wanted to do one and since I have a box of precut pennies, I thought I would give it a try.

I went with the colors I had, and thought brown, green and orange were perfect for a fall piece. It is small so it is perfect for an end table or a candle mat for one of my bureaus. I sewed the pennies first, then I laid them out in the diamond pattern and marked off the batting so that it lay in the middle of the outer pennies. I used a piece of tan cotton ticking and sewed the pennies' outer edges to that.

After I finished it, I sat it in walnut stain, overnight. It was still lighter than I wanted, so I sprayed some extra walnut ink on the front and especially on the ticking, since that was lighter. Now it is nice and dark and has an antique look. I am not sure if that shows, as well in the photo.

This is a fun lap project while I watch television and I think it would be fun to make some for presents, this year. This mat is 15" long and 10" wide in the middle.


You can see some of the dark staining in the photo, and in person, the ticking is a dark brown. The pennies were precut, but I had to trim down the middle two circles as I went, so they are not perfect circles, but I like my pennies to be a little wonky;) A great project for the weekend and a great way to use up small scraps of wool.



12 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

That will be perfect for fall. I like the warm look of those colors.

slrquilts said...

It looks great. I would like to see the back also. Walnut stain is a favorite of mine too.

Shirlee said...

It looks wonderful! Makes me want to make one & I've never worked with pennies before : )

moosecraft said...

Love these! A great accent piece!

kelley said...

turned out great Debbie...have been admiring Lauren's too..

Rugs and Pugs said...

Debbie,
It turned out G-R-E-A-T!!! I only used 2 pennies for my mat. Three look even better but so many more stitches.
Hugs :)
Lauren

annie said...

it looks wonderful, love the colors!

Faye said...

It's done up beautifully!!!! The amount if staining you did is perfect~ I think the wool penny creations will make a wonderful gift.... Perfect!!

Fiona said...

it looks great....
Hugz

antique quilter said...

beautiful. it will be a great for the fall.
Kathie

Anna said...

I love how it turned out! I just pinned a 5 part tutorial on how to create one and it is definately in my future!

Carole said...

Pretty! Looks like you've been enjoying the summer, as well as getting projects done! Good for you! Love your work. Keep well!