Monday, February 2, 2015

Monday Freebies Galore!


I recently joined a group called Wool Applique to share my love of wool work with others. What I didn't realize is, the group has a lot of talented crafters and generous designers. One of the things I was able to make this week was a free BOM by Stacy West of Buttermilk Basin. I love the first design and can't wait to see what other ones we will be doing.

I used a flannel suede on this piece and have woolie flannels for the other blocks. I am not sure if they are all the same size or what they will be, it is a mystery BOM, so I got neutrals so I can mix and match.
The only thing I changed on mine was the star, I used a button instead of wool.

The bad thing is, they only had one piece of the blue suede and I messed up my cuts, so I may be able to do two more.



The reason I used this blue was, I made a trip to the folk art quilt store and when I saw this, I knew it was perfect for the pineapple. Since she had a supply of woolie flannels, I was able to get three neutral shades to add to the mix. I also found monks cloth on sale. It was two yards that had gotten wet, but it is dry now and nothing wrong with it, so half price was worth it. I also found some homespun to add to my stash and a fun art print for a future art piece. I have been avoiding going to a quilt store since i want to use my stash, but also fun to treat myself;) The seagull print is to go with a charm pack, I bought. This will be perfect for the border, of a quilt I have in mind.



Since we had a break in the snowstorms but too cold and deep to enjoy being outside, we went to the antique barn. It is two floors of booths with antique and new items. I found a wooden box that is perfect for my canisters. It was slightly used, but looks new and less than half the price, so well worth it. It is in the mustard/black shade that I am painting my noodle board.

Our kitchen is a work in progress, I am still debating on how I want to do the walls.



Bean is still growing and being good this week. He gets out for some play in the snow, and I play with him in the house but it is nice that he is calming down and relaxing more often. Of course he decided he wanted my chair and there is not enough room for two. I hope everyone had a nice weekend and it looks like we may be hit with one more storm this week. I guess I need to get snowshoes next;)


14 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, you did the pineapple. I printed out the pattern but have not had time to look in my wool pieces for what I need. The blue flannel is very nice as a background.

Julie Fukuda said...

Enjoy your snow days. Looks like you are getting plenty. Doing some woolly crafts is a perfect activity. I shall not let Nikko see that sofa picture. She has been told floors are for dogs.

Jennie in GA said...

Great job on the Buttermilk Basin block! Bean is so adorable.

Kate said...

I like your pineapple block - haven't made it yet; I only have solid shades of felt in small amounts so I'm going to have to be creative with it. You folks are certainly getting hit with storms this winter - don't envy you. Can certainly see that Bean is growing - that's a fab shot of him sleeping in the chair. :)

Kate said...

Forgot to mention that I love the seagull fabric that you purchased.

Anna said...

Oh now I have gone off Facebook you tell me that there is a wool group!! Well you are going to have to keep me posted...I can't wait to make my pineapple block!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Learning wool applique is high on my priority list.

I know about "sharing" chair. My Miss Callie Mae says she will share but. . .

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

I LOVE the FB woolie group! Great bunch! Love how your block turned out too! I used a cotton background and wool for my applique pieces. I bet this quilt is going to be lovely when it is finished.

Sandi said...

Your pineapple block is great, I have a cotton star fabric as my background choice. Love the mix that everyone is doing for backgrounds.

Your fabrics you bought are lovely, especially the seagulls.

I just applied to join the wool group I hear it is a great group.

Can hardly wait to see February's block!

Fiona said...

I love that BOM... and you have done a great one... lovely fabrics... it's so nice when you go somewhere and find just what you want...
Hugz

Carrie P. said...

Your BB block is cute. I just posted mine on the facebook page and will post it on my blog when I can get a chance to work on a post. It is crazy around here lately.

Allie said...

Love the pineapple!!! And your finds, those canisters are awesome. Bean is too adorable...he looks so cozy there...good place to be during these crazy winter days! I need to get my Abby some snowshoes, the snow is higher than her belly - she doesn't like going out much anymore, lol!

annie said...

loved your project!
and the fabrics!
he has really grown, what a sweetie!

Debra @ Life is a Stitch said...

I also printed out the pineapple but so far have not stitched it. Seeing yours done is inspiring.
Thanks.
Also, I'm looking for blue (or dark colored) star buttons just like yours on your sheep!! Did you just purchase it? I'd appreciate some help finding them to finish quilt project.
Thank you!