Monday, October 12, 2015

Weekend Wanderings!


We did a lot this weekend, and now I am tired out, but it is a good tired. Saturday we planned on a ride but got a late start, so we decided to check out the art festival in Scituate. The nice thing is, it is also a craft fair and antique market.

It is a beautiful historic town that is on the Scituate reservoir and we had to cross a strip of land to get across the lake. Beautiful views and pops of color among the trees.


One of the reasons I wanted to go was, I had never heard of the festival until a friend liked one of the artists on Facebook. Of course I had to find and visit her booth and I was not disappointed. This is what was left in her booth on the first day, I guess the morning patrons took half of the things, before we got there. I did treat myself to one doll, see the pumpkin man sitting on the shelf, with the wool pants? He now lives with me and he makes me smile:) You can visit her Facebook page, Folk friends and see photos of her booth before the show.



I also found a rug hooking studio and found out, she is Deanne Fitzpatrick's sister. Sharon and her daughter hook together and have a store in Swansea, Massachusetts, called Loop by Loop Studio.

On Sunday we watched Nick. His dad was working on the house, so we took him to church with us. Our church has a back room for mom's with small children and we sat there, so he could play with the other kids and we could try and concentrate on the service, not easy with a hyper grandchild, lol. I call it a service of joy, since that is what Nick brings to me. After we took him home, the guys worked on the house and Nick and I went for a walk by the river.


Today we got out for our ride in Connecticut. We drove down the back roads to Willimantic. It is an old Mill town and as we crossed the bridge, this is what we were greeted with, frogs on both ends. They are sitting on spools to honor the history of the mills and if you follow this Link, you can see the story of the frogs.

We stopped at the old mills to look at the river. There is a bridge that goes across and it is covered with gardens, a beautiful place to just sit and enjoy the views.


After we saw a bit of the town, we headed up to the lakes. I wanted to see the dam, but we took the wrong road and ended up at the boat launch. By then I was tired and hot and had no brain energy to figure out which way to go to get to the larger falls, so we enjoyed walking bean around the launch area. I would definitely want to come back and paddle here.


The next stop was the Natchaug forest area. There is a pond, hiking trails and a beautiful bike trail in the area, but with Bean, we stick to walking. We just enjoyed the immediate area, and the sound of shotguns in the distance did not instill a sense of safety since this is also a hunting area. It was a nice day to just explore and we enjoyed a lot of beautiful towns and scenery and I did stop at a wonderful old graveyard to get photos and a few churches, they will be future design ideas;)

I hope all of you had a wonderful weekend and try to explore in your own backyard and surrounding areas, you never know what you will find. 


11 comments:

Saundra said...

You guys sure do log up the miles both on the road, the land paths and waterways. Your pumpkin guy looks cute. I used to make dolls just like him years ago and sold my remaining fall items at Cape May in September. When I go to the rug camp in November plan to take my remaining Christmas dolls and things to try and hopefully sell there. What doesn't sell I plan to put in my etsy shop.

The Eveningstitcher said...

Beautiful pictures, Deb! YOur little grandson is adorable...but they do keep you hopping!! I'll have to visit the FB page. I really like all she has to offer...good for her she didn't have much left!

Karen said...

You don't let any grass grow under your feet on weekends!

moosecraft said...

Beautiful scenery! Thanks for sharing pics! Nicholas is soooo cute! My very first rug hooking piece (which was a kit) was purchased from Sharon off of eBay! :-) She has some great designs!

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a fun weekend.
Your pumpkin guy is sweet.
That Nicholas is just too precious. So happy you are able to spend time with him.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Raymond Homestead said...

Beautiful photos, such a sweet picture of Nicholas!

Fiona said...

what a lovely weekend outing.... some really pretty places, Nick is such fun and it's great you get to see him quite often
Hugz

Allie said...

Love your pumpkin guy and all your beautiful travels, and the darling pic of Nick! So cute!

Charlotte said...


Enjoyed your travelogue as well as the projects you made and purchased.

Charlotte

Julie Fukuda said...

Some of that water looked very inviting ... especially for quiet paddling. Nick is getting so big so fast (and without a leash too)
I'll bet that craft fair was an interesting place to visit. It is always fun to get a bit of inspiration by seeing what others make.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Beautiful photographs Debbie! Love seeing new areas.