Friday, January 5, 2018

Friday Finish!


I hope everyone faired well during the recent storm. We had a bit of a blizzard and the cold winds are continuing through the weekend. Too cold to enjoy being outside, but perfect for working on projects.

This week I got the newest stitchery from Kathy's One Stitch Club. The design is french inspired and she did hers in light shades with light thread, which I like, but I decided to try it in dark shades. I used coffee stained fabric and on one a yellowed tan and the other a medium tan shade. I used stash thread, so no idea the actual colors.

I like how they came out, they are stuffed with batting and lavender, since I made them to be sachets. The problem is, the blue marker ran into the threads, so I used soap to wash it out and that soaked the pillows. With all that moisture and drying, it changed the coloring on the fabric, I guess it runs and reforms into shapes. It also did something to the lavender and there are stiff spots on the back. I have learned, wash off the marker, before I stuff them;)

I realized I forgot the button at the bottom and I also stamped out the initial at the top, didn't want it showing;) The edges are done with a wool, rug yarn.


I also started one of the stocking blocks. I wanted to try it first, to make sure I wanted to needle turn. Since the stocking is so simple and big, it was a breeze, turning it as I went and sewing it down. I did use a template this time, then traced around the seam allowance with a white pencil. That way I knew to turn it on the line and keep the shape.

I was thinking of adding the fabrics for the heel and toe, but not so sure. This is for the kids, so I want it to be more modern than prim, but I like the idea of making that part more scrappy. Not sure this works with the red snowflake, though. Maybe a white shade? So, perhaps keeping those pieces in solids, since the prints are busier? I may even have some mottled solids that would work nicely, need to go through my stash this weekend.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I need to go back to the store for more black. The one I picked was too thin and the one I am using is a medium weight and not enough for all the blocks. Luckily I got it at Joannes, so I can get more.


9 comments:

Lady Locust said...

Oh I luuuuv those sachets! The rug yarn around the edge sure makes them stand out. You're cruising on the stocking. I'm needle turning flower petals - oy! They are about 1" pieces. It's a block of the month I began years ago. Now I know why I got stuck in April. I'm trying to work on UFOs.

Fiona said...

the sachets are pretty and I couldnt notice colour distorting.... I bet they smell nice too.... Love the stocking.... good start
Hugz

acorn hollow said...

I love your two pillows you are always so productive.
we had plenty of snow I am over winter now and it just started.
we are cold this morning so I am tucking in and hope to be as have as productive as you are.
cathy

Saundra said...

I like those sachets even with the water mark on them.

Allie-oops Designs said...

Those sachets are darling!!! Love the stocking too!

Kate said...

Love the sachets - they look "old" and the stocking is so cute. Keep warm.

Karen said...

The pillows are a hit with me. I like the one with the tan thread best.
The stocking looks good in the red with snowflake fabrics. I like the idea of the heal and toe added.

Rugs and Pugs said...

I love the sachets!
Thankfully our weather is supposed to start warming tomorrow and be 52* by Thursday. It will feel like a heatwave.

Sandi said...

Love your fabric choices Debbie! The shape if the stocking is so funM