Friday, February 9, 2018

Friday projects!


This week was a bit of this and that, lots of thinking, doing, but no finishing. I made some more small stocking blocks and having fun, picking scraps from my stash. I have a lot of red and green, so time to add some new colors with the next batch.

I laid them out with a red I had been thinking of using, but it might be a bit on the orange side. I found another that is a deep red. I like the idea of a pop of color by using a skinny sashing between the blocks, but not sure if it blends well with the colors, might have to find some green?

Hard to tell in the photo, but the red on the right side, is a deeper red, but still brighter than the red in the stockings. I will have to see what shades of red and green I can find in the medium weight linens.


I also wanted to paint my angel. I won a class with Teresa Kogut and made a smaller version. I was having trouble watching the video since it kept stalling out, but now it is working fine. Well, I messed up with the lines, using a sharpie was not the best idea, but I can paint over the mess. Of course my brain decided to go on hold, I could not follow along, I was painting too slow this time so I paused and painted ahead, then realized I forgot things, so I made a mess of her face.

To fix that, I just redid the flesh and covered all the blobby, dark shadowing. Now it will be hard to do it in her style, since you go from dark to light. At this point, I will just paint her my way and try again with the next painting.

When my lyme is acting up, my eyes go blurry, so I tried painting in some base colors and gave up. Hopefully my brain will be back to normal next week and I can finish her. I am allowed to give them as gifts, so this will be gifted, if I don't make a total mess of it, lol.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. We have more rain coming, so hoping we get a break so I can get out for a little beach combing.

After she is finished, the piece gets done with crackle and stain, so that changes the whole look and covers up a lot of flaws;) It is also sanded, so that some of the paper designs will show through. You can check out Teresa's classes at Gather Dream Create. She also has a weekly lesson with different types of designs.


8 comments:

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I think your painting is going to be awesome!!

Karen said...

Myself, I would use a red sashing. Your stockings look good.

acorn hollow said...

wow your angel's face is amazing! love your stockings the red is perfect.
I wish I could be 1/2 as productive as you are.
Cathy

Saundra said...

I think your angel is wonderful; you're being too hard on yourself.

Rugs and Pugs said...

I just love everything of Teresa's! She is so talented and one of the nicest people you will ever meet!
Me thinks your angel is wonderful.
Lauren

Sandi said...

I agree the red is too much, maybe a red on red print or plaid. Or green!

Love the progress you are making on your angel, she will be a,axing when done! We are our own worst critics!

Carol Swift said...

So sorry you were having a Lyme episode, but your angel is really beautiful in spite of it. I love her! Sweet stockings, too. Feel better!

Allie-oops Designs said...

The stockings are darling. But that angel - you say you messed up? Oh my goodness Debbie I don't see where, she is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!