Monday, March 12, 2018

Monday Finishes!


This weekend I was stuck at home, so I got a few things done. I also worked on my angel painting, but for some reason the crackle I got, did not work. I ordered some of the crackle that is used in the tutorial, so hopefully I can fix the mess I made.

I also wanted to make some little boy bunnies. I could not find my old pattern, so I used a photo that I had of my wall quilt and remade it into a drawing. The design is adapted from Twigs and Sprigs. I used fabric markers on this one, so I will tell you how each one worked.

For the yellow and red colors, I used Tee Juice. I didn't realize how small the tips were, so it took longer to cover the areas. It went on  nicely and I liked the look, but it ran when I had to wet the piece to get rid of the blue marks. The purple, green and pink were tulip fabric markers. I did not like them. They went on roughly and seemed more dry, especially the green, so I would not buy those again. They also run. I think I will stick to my Faber Castell markers. They cost more, but they dry fast, can be washed and are archival.

I made them for the boys, for fun, so I am sure they won't mind if they are not perfect.


Another project I worked on was, my cubby base. Bill made it for me, it is a bit bigger and heavier than I needed, but it will do and has an extra area to store more art supplies. To stain the piece, I used Varathane weathered wood accelerator. I love how it works. I got a quart and only used half. All you do is brush it on, and it ages the wood. The color depends on the wood type, but it usually grays them and it is the perfect shade to go with the top cubby, that I bought. It is watery so you need an area you can work on, I used large sheets of painters paper under my piece. You can use a cheap brush and the Verathane is cheaper than other stains, so a good deal to get that weathered look.

I put some paints in the cubby, have more to store. I also found the two green bottles today, so I stored my glass in those.

I hope everyone is able to stay out of the storm heading our way tomorrow, looks like we are due for a bad one. I was able to get out this morning and find a nice batch of glass from the dog beach. I knew there would be more with the storms and it was nice to get out in the fresh air, for a little while.

The flash messed up the colors. The two pieces are a medium, dark gray and the white crates are antiqued so not as white, as they appear.


6 comments:

Sandi said...

Love your bunny boys, but they look a bit grumpy like they didn't get all the treats they were looking for. They are too fun!

Bill did a great job on your cubby, it looks great.

Hope your crackle gets fixed up. Have a great week.

Lady Locust said...

Wow ~ what a great piece for your treasures. How fun.

Saundra said...

Tea juice? Interesting. Sorry you will be getting more of the brunt on the storm but happy it won't be as bad for me this go around.

Karen said...

The boy bunnies are so cute. It won't be long and Easter will be here. The pillows would be nice on the grandboy's beds or on the sofa.

Rugs and Pugs said...

The little bunny pillows are so sweet! I'm sure the boys will love them.
Hope the storm passed you by.

Fiona said...

Lovely cubby space - I love all the little shelves for things.... those rabbits are fun...
Hugz